Psalm 90:12

"Teach us to number our days and recognize how few they are; help us to spend them as we should."

Sunday, January 31, 2010

News from Jerusalem

Wednesday, January 27th

We arrived yesterday around 11 am at St. George’s College in Jerusalem after flying all night from Newark to Tel Aviv. I was pooped so I slept the afternoon away while Jay got set up with internet and got himself situated. We attended evening prayer and had orientation meetings.

Well, this is Day 2 of our grand adventure. I was awakened at 5:30 am with the Muslim call to prayer which is this eerie chanting over loud speakers that is broadcast across the city five times a day (I can hear it right now too – 5:20 pm). We visited a convent for lunch – a beautiful stone building right out of Pillars of the Earth. Except, as soon as you walk in, there was a vending machine with Heinekens! In the dining hall, they had French wine for sale (Dad availed himself!).

After lunch, we went to the rooftop which had a panoramic view of Jerusalem that was amazing. I attempted to take a series of pictures that I hope to commission John to do a puzzle picture of for Dad (Father’s Day??). We could see – from that one spot: the Wailing Wall, the site of the first Temple, the Garden of Gethsemane, the Mount of Olives, the Kidron Valley, the home of Caiaphas, plus a million other things. Pretty awesome.

Jay and I took a short walk through the city down towards the Old City (we haven’t gone in yet). I hoped for it to be old and quaint maybe? Not so. It reminded me of China Town in New York – junkie shop after junkie shop – all selling the same stuff. There was this one amazing shop Jay took me to that sold spices in these big open bins – cinnamon, curry, etc. Imagine the smell – it was wonderful. More tomorrow.

Love you all and miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment